Caring for a New Tattoo|
Taking care with a new tattoo can prevent health problems and also ensure that the quality of the image is protected. Hereís what you need to do:
- Remove bandage from tattoo one to two hours after completion.
- Wash gently with cool or lukewarm water, using a mild antibacterial soap.
- Pat dry. (Donít rub!)
- Apply very thin coats of Bacitracin or A&D; Ointment (not regular petroleum jelly) and work well into the skin. (If you can see the ointment on your skin, youíre using too much and it could pull color out of your skin, tattoo artists warn.)
- Donít soak the tattoo in water or let the shower pound directly on it.
- Avoid sun, sea and swimming pool until healed.
- Refrain from picking at any scab that may form -- it will fall off as it heals, usually in one to three weeks.
- Use ice packs if swelling or redness occurs.
- Call your doctor if you have even the slightest signs of infection!