Networking Basics: Printers
To share a printer, first make sure you have completed the steps outlined above to activate File and Printer Sharing. Then:
- Click the Start button, move to Settings and select Printers. A window will open listing all of the printers on the local system.
- Move over the icon for the printer you wish to share and click the right mouse button to bring up the menu. Select Sharing...
- The Properties window will pop up with the Sharing tab section open. Click the Shared As option and type in a name for the printer. You may also elect to require a password to access the printer.
- Click OK to close the window. This printer is now shared.
To access the printer from another computer:
Once the wizard finishes installing the software, the printer will appear to your system just like a local printer.
- Go to that computer and open the Printers window.
- Double-click the Add a Printer wizard.
- Choose the Network Printer option and click Next.
- The wizard will display a list of all shared printers on the LAN. Choose the printer you wish to access and click Next again. The wizard will then install the appropriate driver if it is available, or else request that you put in a disk or CD with the driver software.